12 August 2017

Today is the Glorious Twelfth (I grew up surrounded by shooting families in rural Lincolnshire, and as kids, we'd work as beaters - any excuse to spend a day outside with friends, and earn some pocket money!) It's also a dear friend's birthday, and this year, just happens to be the local WI garden party AND the start of the new Premier League season - a VERY busy day!

But our focus is today's word, both noun and verb, REBEL and I just had to take a certain theme over a number of pages...
I've had these facsimiles of suffragette memorabilia for a couple of years, just waiting for this project 😄
I just LOVE the crying baby postcard bewailing 'Mummy's a Suffragette! My first encounter with the word was Mrs Banks in Mary Poppins - how I loved that film growing up (and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)!
I know, if I'd be alive then, I would have joined the marches, the processions, but I wouldn't have joined in the violence - breaking windows, setting properties on fire...
I had to add this sticker - it seemed perfectly to sum up how this was a ordinary, everyday movement, in which women realized they could do extraordinary things (despite the very real threat of prison, whether they embarked on criminal activity or not).
And still the fight goes on in many parts of the world...
Do share any thoughts in the comments below or here, and I promise I will give politics a wide berth in future posts...

No comments:

Post a Comment